STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING AND CONCRETE TECHNOLOGY LABORATORY
The Structural engineering and Concrete technology laboratory at Indian Institute of Technology, Patna is well equipped with modern analytical instruments and facilities to carry out simple as well as sophisticated experiments which support research and teaching activities in the structural and concrete technology fields.
The concrete laboratory equipments can be used in determining the physical properties of building construction materials like cement, fine and coarse aggregate and strength characteristics of cement mortar, plain cement concrete and reinforced cement concrete. These activities also include vibration studies of structure system using seismic accelerometer and data logger.
Some of the important laboratory equipments include:
- Digital Compression Testing Machine (300 T).
- Aggregate Crushing Test Apparatus.
- Aggregate Impact Test.
- Ultrasonic Concrete Testing Machine.
- Rebound Hammer.
- Seismic Accelerometer and Data Acquisition System.
- Air Entrainment meter for resistibility.
- Vee-Bee Consistometer & Compacting Factor Apparatus for workability.
- Air Permeability Apparatus.
- Universal Testing Machine (Capacity- 60 tonnes)
- Reaction Frame
- Base Shaker
|Digital Compression Testing Machine (300 T)||Ultrasonic Concrete Testing Machine|
|Aggregate Crushing Test Apparatus||Seismic Accelerometer and Data Acquisition
System (small scale)
|Seismic Accelerometer and Data Acquisition
System (large scale)
|Universal Testing Machine||Air Permeability Apparatus|
|Aggregate Impact Test||Experimental setup to find buckling of struts|
|Experimental setup to find unsymmetrical bending and shear centre||Experimental setup to find bending moment in portal fram|
|Experimental setup to find bending stress in beam||Experimental setup of continuous and indeterminate beam|
|Experimental setup of suspension bridge||Experimental setup of three pinned arch|
|Reaction Frame||Base Shaker|
GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING LABORATORY
The Geotechnical Engineering Laboratory in Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering supports research, teaching and consultancy activities in the geotechnical field. It is well equipped with the most fundamental to the most sophisticated modern analytical instruments and facilities to carry out experiments which will help the students to understand the theoretical concepts and learn their applications in practical situation. These laboratory equipments can be used to determine the physical and engineering properties of soil. The physical properties include specific gravity, moisture content, density and consistency limits namely, liquid, plastic and shrinkage limits of soil. The engineering properties include permeability, consolidation, compressibility, shear strength and bearing capacity of soil.
Some of these facilities are:
- Fully Automatic Cyclic Triaxial Test Equipment for both static and dynamic loading.
- Direct Shear Test Apparatus with Digital readouts.
- Vane Shear Testing Equipment for cohesive soil.
- Unconfined Compression Test Apparatus both in undisturbed and remoulded state of the soil.
- Seismic Accelerometer and Data Acquisition System.
- MASW Test Apparatus for evaluating the elastic condition (stiffness) of the ground.
- Static Cone Penetration Testing Equipment for determining the resistance of soil and classification of soils.
- Pile Integrity Test Apparatus for assessing the condition of piles.
- California Bearing Ratio Test Apparatus.
- Liquefaction Tank
- Automatic compactor
- Universal permeability apparatus
- Humidity and temperature apparatus
- Static triaxial test apparatus
- Sample extruder
- Water potential measurement apparatus
- Fredlund SWCC Device
- Vibration Monitoring Apparatus
- Cyclic Plate Load Test
- Static cone penetromete.
|Fully Automatic Cyclic Triaxial Test
|Direct Shear Test Apparatus with Digital readouts|
|Unconfined Compression Test Apparatus||MASW Test Apparatus|
|Odeometer||Pile Integrity Test Apparatus|
|Liquefaction Tank||California Bearing Ratio Test Apparatus|
|Automatic compactor||Universal permeability apparatus|
|Humidity and temperature apparatus||Static triaxial test apparatus|
|Sample extruder||Water potential measurement apparatus|
|Fredlund SWCC Device||Vibration Monitoring Apparatus|
|Cyclic Plate Load Test||Static cone penetrometer|
|Electrical Resistivity Meter||Temperature controlled oedometer (In-house developed)|
|Mercury Intrusion Porosimetry (MIP)|
TRANSPORTATION AND RAILWAY ENGINEERING LABORATORY
The Transportation Engineering Laboratory at IIT Patna is equipped with some of the modern instruments and facilities to carry out simple to sophisticated experiments which support research and teaching activities in the transportation field. Some of these
- Gauges to conduct shape tests
- Ductility testing apparatus
- Bitumen penetrometer
- Flash and fire point apparatus
- Softening point apparatus
- Deval’s abrasion apparatus
- Marshall’s stability apparatus
- Length gauge
- Bitumen extractor
- Sound level meter
- Thickness gauge
- Water bath
- Trazer suite(traffic analyser)
- Bump Integrator
|Rotational Viscometer||Loss Angeles Test Apparatus|
|Deval Abrasion Test||Asphalt Theoretical Density Meter|
|Water Bath||Ductility Test Apparatus|
|Merlin||Aggregate Impact Tester|
|Standard Penetrometer Apparatus||Stripping Value Apparatus|
|Rolling Thin Film Oven||Light Weight Deflectometer 6000 BLE|
|Temperature IR Gun||Temperature Sound Meter|
|Automatic Bitumen Penetrometer||Digital Marshall Stability Apparatus|
|Flakiness and Elongation Index||High Performance Data Logger|
|Stabinger Viscometer 3000||Action Video Camera|
|Ring and Ball Apparatus (Softening Point)||Flash and Fire point Apparatus|
|Motorised Sieve Shaker||Asphalt Mixer|
|Automatic Bitumen Compactor 4 Inch and 6 Inch||Laser Speed Gun|
|5 Channel Signal Conditioner||Benkelman Beam|
|Trazer suite (traffic analyzer software)||Bitumen Extractor|
RAILWAY ENGINEERING LABORATORY
The Railway Engineering Laboratory at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Patna works with a vision of developing the required design standards for constructing high-speed rail tracks in India. It is equipped with the state-of-the-art large-scale direct shear and large-scale pullout apparatus that are explicitly designed to study the behaviour of various rail track foundation interfaces under track operating conditions. The laboratory also has the large-scale rail track testing facility and the Large-scale railroad ballast permeability apparatus. The other goals of the laboratory are to assess the stability of the existing rail tracks and suggest suitable low-cost remedial solutions to allow the movement of semi high-speed trains, and devise strategies to effectively recycle the degraded ballast so that further quarrying of rock may be reduced.
|Large-scale direct shear apparatus||Large-scale pullout apparatus|
|Rail Track Testing Facility|| Large-scale Railroad Ballast Permeability
GEOMATICS ENGINEERING LABORATORY
- Total Station
- Plane Table
- Laser Distance meter
- Dumpy Level
- Prismatic Compass
- Surveyor Compass
- Auto Level
- Electronic distance measurement
- Electronic Theodolite
- Differential Global Positioning System
|Total Station||Electronic Theodoloite|
|Global positioning system||Dumpy level|
|Plane Table and accessories||Planimeter|
|Differential Global Positioning System||Prismatic and Surveyor Compass|
ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING LABORATORY
- Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS): Used for precise and accurate trace element determinations in liquid and solid samples, but other applications include isotopic determinations and speciation studies.
- Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy (Flame &Furnace): Quantitative determination of elements using the absorption of optical radiation by free atoms in the gaseous state.
- Total Organic Carbon (TOC) Analyzer: Determination of total amount of carbon in organic compounds in liquid and solid samples.
- Carbon hydrogen nitrogen sulfur (CHNS) analyzer: Used to determine the elemental concentrations in solid samples (Carbon, Hydrogen and Nitrogen and Sulfur).
- Ion Chromatography: Used for quantification of anions and cations by using conductivity detector.
- Refrigerated Centrifuge: Used to separating molecules having different densities by spinning them in solution around an axis (in a centrifuge rotor) at high speed.
- UV Visible Spectrophotometer: The instrument is use for light source to pass through a sample chamber and detects metal ions and organic compounds in sample.
- Nanoparticle Tracking Analyzer with Zetasizer : For measuring of mainly poly dispersed particle with low conc.
- Dynamic light scattering (DLS) particle size analyzer: For measuring particle size with high conc. and suitable for mono disperse particles.
|Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) Agilent -7800||Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy (Flame &Furnace) Thermo Scientific -iCE3500|
|Total Organic Carbon (TOC) Analyzer, IO Analytical –Aurora 1030||Carbon hydrogen nitrogen sulfur (CHNS) analyzer, LECO-Truespec micro|
|Ion Chromatography, Metrohm -882 Compact IC Plus||Refrigerated Centrifuge, Eppendorf- 5804R|
|UV Visible Spectrophotometer , Thermo Scientific –Evolution 220||Malvern -Nanoparticle Tracking Analyzer (NS300)|
|Malvern-Zeta sizer (ZS-90)||DLS Particle size analyzer (Anton paar- Litesizer 500)|
Software available in the CAD laboratory:
Plaxis 2D &
FLAC 3D &
WATER RESOURCES ENGINEERING LABORATORY
- Floating body apparatus
- Hydrostatic pressure measuring apparatus
- Bernoulli's apparatus
- Centrifugal pump
- Venturimeter apparatus
- Seepage Flow Apparatus
- Orifice meter Apparatus
- Losses In a Pipe System
- Base Module Apparatus
- Settling Velocity Apparatus
- Reynolds Apparatus
- Hydraulic Flume
- Centrifugal Pump and Speed Sensor
- Hydrograph after precipitation with speed Censor
|Floating body apparatus||Hydrostatic pressure measuring apparatus|
|Bernoullis apparatus||Centrifugal pump|
|Venturimeter||Seepage Flow Apparatus|
|Orifice meter Apparatus||Losses in a pipe system|
|Base Module Apparatus||Settling Velocity Apparatus|
|Reynolds Apparatus||Hydraulic Flume|
|Centrifugal Pump and Speed Sensor||Hydrograph after precipitation with speed Censor|