Why to study metallurgy and materials science?
The field of metallurgy and materials science is a rapidly growing with a wide range of novel applications. New materials are being developed all the time to meet the needs of a rapidly changing world. Materials science is at the forefront of this innovation, working to develop new materials for everything from electronics to medicine.
Engineers and scientists in the field of metallurgy and materials science are in high demand in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, electronics, energy, and medicine. Materials science is a challenging and intellectually stimulating field. Materials engineer and scientists use their knowledge of chemistry, physics, and engineering to understand and manipulate the properties of materials. This can be a very rewarding experience, as you get to see the direct impact of your work on the development of new and improved materials.
Why to study at the department of metallurgical and materials engineering at IIT, Patna?
IIT Patna is among the top-ranked engineering institute in India. IIT Patna has a strong faculty with a wealth of experience. The faculty at IIT Patna are experts in their respective fields and are passionate about teaching. They will help you to develop the knowledge and skills you need to succeed in your career.
The departmentof metallurgical and materials engineering has a state-of-the-art laboratory in surface and coating technology, polymer technology, nano-material, functional material and ceramic processing. IIT Patna has a vibrant student life. The department has student driven MATES societies at IIT Patna that you can join to get involved in different activities. The department also organizes regular talk and seminar delivered by experts in the field of material science and engineering.
The department of metallurgical and materials engineering has a strong placement record. The department has a placement cell that helps students to find jobs after graduation.
IIT, Patna is among the 2nd generation IITs established by the department of education. The institute has well-equipped libraries, and other facilities that will support your learning. The campus of IIT, Patna is vast, green and beautiful. It has student gymkhana, cricket, football stadium, lawn tennis, badminton playgrounds and many other facilities for the extracurricular activities.
- Our B.Tech. program started on 2019
- B.Tech. Program is in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- First batch graduated on 2023
- Through on campus placement >90% of the undergraduate students are placed which is at per with the best performing branches of IIT, Patna
- Average package is 15 lakhs per annum
- Highest package is 44 lakhs per annum
- Two students obtained offer from Georgia Institute of Technology, US for higher studies
- 5 B.Tech. students have received international internship (4 students in 2023 & 1 student in 2022)
- Our M.Tech. program started on 2014
- M.Tech. program is in Materials Science and Engineering
- We recruit students from diverse backgrounds like B.Tech. from core areas like Metallurgy, Ceramic Technology and Polymer Technology, B.Tech. from non-core areas like Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering and from Science backgrounds like B.Sc./M.Sc. Physics and Chemistry
- Courses are designed to cater to the interests of students of diverse background
- For the M.Tech. batch graduated in 2023, >90% received job offers through on-campus placement, rest are going for higher studies
- Average package is 8.5 lakhs per annum
- Generally, almost all students gets placed or join higher studies
- 5 M.Tech. students have received DAAD scholarships in the last 4 years
- M.Tech. students are doing Ph.D. in IISc, Bangalore, IIT Bombay, IIT Kanpur, IIT Madras, IIT Kharagpur, University of Padova, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology and others
- Our Ph.D. program started on 2012
- We recruit students from diverse backgrounds like B.Tech. from core areas like Metallurgy, Ceramic Technology and Polymer Technology, B.Tech. from non-core areas like Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biotechnology and from Science background like B.Sc./M.Sc. Physics and Chemistry
- Total Ph.D. students graduated till now is 14
- Our students are working as an assistant Professor in IIT Delhi & IIT BHU
- Our students are also working in multinational companies like RIL, Halliburton and Govt. lab like CSIR-AMPRI and educational institutes like Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology