|Dr. Ramakrishna Bag
|Ph.D (Cardiff University, UK 2012), M.E. (IISc, Bangalore 2007), B.E. (IIEST, Shibpur 2005)
|Phone: +91-6115-233 704
- Toxic waste disposal
- Unsaturated soil mechanics
- Geoenvironmental Engineering
- THM behavior of soils and rocks
|Courses Taught at IITP
- CE111: Engineering Drawing (Tutorial)
- CE214: Soil Mechanics
- CE319: Numerical Methods in Civil Engineering
- CE392: Transportation Engineering Laboratory
- CE393: Structural Engineering and Materials Laboratory
- CE401: Infrastructure Laws and Professional Ethics
- CE491: Design Studio
- CE582: Geoenvironmental Engineering
- CE596: Civil Engineering Lab -II
- October 2022- continue: Associate Professor, Dept. of Civil and Env. Engg., IIT Patna
- November 2021 - November 2022: Head, Institute Works Department (IWD), IIT Patna
- March 2019- October 2021: Head, Dept. of Civil and Env. Engg., IIT Patna
- June 2017-October 2022: Assistant Professor, Dept. of Civil and Env. Engg., IIT Patna
- July 2014 – May 2017: Assistant Professor, NIT Rourkela, Odisha, India
- Nov 2011 – June 2014: Postdoctoral Researcher-School of Engineering, Cardiff University, UK
- Aug 2007 – Nov 2007: Senior Geotechnical Design Engineer, L&T ECC, Chennai, India
- Dec. 2008 Bauhaus University, Weimar, Germany.
- June 2008 Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany.
- Dec. 2009 Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany.
(Currently Assistant Professor
at NIT Jalandhar)
|Academic Awards and Honours
- 2008: Ph.D Scholarship, Cardiff University, UK
|Member of Professional bodies
- AMIE - Associate member of Institution of Engineers (India) Limited.
- Life member – Ground Engineering Group, ICE Wales Chapter.
- Indian Geotechnical Society: Life Member, 2019 onward
|Editorial Board Member
- 2022: Review Editor on the Editorial Board of Geotechnical Engineering (specialty section of Frontiers in Built Environment).
- Bag R, Bharti A, Jadda K, Sai Kumar M L S, 2022, Comparative study between MLR and ANN techniques to predict swelling pressure of expansive clays, Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-022-02099-5
- Jadda K, Bag R, 2022, The fabric evaluation of two Indian bentonites subjected to different suctions and consolidation pressures, Engineering Geology, 106535, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2022.106535
- Bag Ramakrishna, Jadda K, 2021, Influence of water content and dry density on pore size distribution and swelling pressure of two Indian bentonites, Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the environment. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10064-021-02459-0
- Jadda K, Bag Ramakrishna, 2021, Thermochemical effect on swelling pressure and microstructure of monovalent and divalent Indian bentonites, ASCE Journal of Hazardous, Toxic and Radioactive waste. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)HZ.2153-5515.0000649
- Bag Ramakrishna, Mandal M, Singhal V, 2021, Rectification of the Tilt and Shift of Well Foundation: A Numerical and Analytical Solution, Indian Geotechnical Journal, 1-15, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40098-020-00477-5
- Bag Ramakrishna, Agarwal S, Baral S S, Singhal A K, Biswas K, 2021, Recycling of plastic waste as course aggregate in concrete for sustainable development, International Journal of Environment and Waste Management, accepted in press.
- Bag Ramakrishna, Agarwal A, Praneeth R, 2020, Recycling of Domestic Plastic Waste Bags as Fine Aggregate in Concrete, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Volume 936, 012009
- Jadda K, Bag Ramakrishna, 2020, Variation of swelling pressure, consolidation characteristics and hydraulic conductivity of two Indian bentonites due to electrolyte concentration, Engineering Geology, 272,105637.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2020.105637
- Jadda K, Bag Ramakrishna, 2020, Effect of initial compaction pressure and elevated temperature on swelling pressure of two Indian bentonites, Environmental Earth Sciences, 79(9) 197.https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-020-08937-0
- Tadza M Y M, Tadza M A M, Bag Ramakrishna and Harith N S H, 2018, Potential impact of Andrassy bentonite microbial diversity in the long-term performance of a deep nuclear waste repository IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 298,012009, pp 1-6 doi:10.1088/1757-899X/298/1/012009.
- Bag Ramakrishna, Rabbani A, 2017, Effect of temperature on swelling pressure and compressibility characteristics of soil, Applied clay science, 136, 1-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2016.10.043.
- Tripathy, S.,Thomas, H.R., Bag Ramakrishna, 2015, Geoenvironmental Application of Bentonites in Underground Disposal of Nuclear Waste: Characterisation and Laboratory element tests, ASCE Journal of Hazardous, Toxic and Radioactive waste, DOI 10.1061/(ASCE)HZ.2153-5515.0000272.
- Tripathy, S., Bag Ramakrishna, Thomas, H.R., 2014, Effects of post-compaction residual stress, on swelling pressures of a compacted bentonite, Geotechnical and Geological Engineering journal, 32, 749-763. DOI: 10.1007/s10706-014-9754-7.
- Tripathy, S., Bag Ramakrishna, Thomas, H.R., 2014, Effect of Stern-layer on the Compressibility behaviour of bentonites’, ActaGeotechnica, 9(6), 1097-1109. DOI: 10.1007/s11440-013-0222-y.
- Bag Ramakrishna, Jadda K, 2021, The Effect of Sand Ratio on Suction and Swelling Pressure of Two Bentonite -Sand Mixtures, Proceedings of the 1st Indo-China Research Series in Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering, vol 123. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-33-4324-5_7
- Mandal M, Roy N, Bag Ramakrishna, 2021, Effect of Plastic Waste on Strength of Clayey Soil and Clay Mixed with Fly Ash, Problematic Soils and Geoenvironmental Concerns. Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering, vol 88. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-6237-2_46
- Mandal M, Bag Ramakrishna, 2020, Effect of pile and heat exchanger properties on total heat extraction of an energy pile-A numerical study, E3S Web Conf. 2nd International Conference on Energy Geotechnics (ICEGT 2020): Issues Related to Energy Piles, 205, 05024, pp 1-6, https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/202020505024
- Jadda K, Bag Ramakrishna, 2020, The Effect of Saline Fluid on Hydraulic Properties of Clays, Advances in Computer Methods and Geomechanics, Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering book series, 56, pp 41-54. https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-981-15-0890-5
- Tripathy, S., Bag Ramakrishna, Thomas, H.R., 2014, Enhanced isothermal effect on swelling pressure of compacted MX80 bentonite, Engineering Geology for Society and Territory - Volume 6: Applied Geology for Major Engineering Projects, 537-539. DOI:10.1007/978-3-319-09060-3_96.
- Nayak B P, Bag R, Acharya A, Bajpai R K, 2022, Thermo-hydro-mechanical column test on compacted bentonite buffer: experimental setup development and preliminary results, Indian Geotechnical Conference, Kochi, December 15-17, 2022.
- Jadda K, Kumar I S, Bag Ramakrishna, 2019, Hydro-mechanical behavior of glass fiber reinforced clay barriers, Indian Geotechnical Conference, Surat, India, Dec. 19-21.
- Jadda K. and Bag Ramakrishna. 2019. The Effect of Saline Fluid on Hydraulic Properties of Clays. International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics (IACMAG) Symposium, IIT Gandhinagar, March 5-7.
- Bag Ramakrishna, Jadda K, Srikanth R N. 2018 Effect of sand ratio on Swelling pressure and Hydraulic conductivity of an Indian bentonite-sand mixture, Accepted for publication in 7th International Conference on Unsaturated soil, Hong Kong, Aug. 3-5, pp 1-6.
- Bag Ramakrishna, Jadda K, Katipelly R R. 2017, Ageing effect on microstructure of compacted bentonite under various applied suction, Goetchnics for natural and engineered sustainable technologies, Indian Geotechnical Conference, IIT Guwahati, Dec. 14-16, pp 1-4.
- Bag Ramakrishna, Siddharthan, S. 2016. Establishing soil-water characteristic by filter paper technique. International conference on soil and Environment, Bangalore, India. Vol 1, pp 1-6.
- Bag Ramakrishna, Tripathy, S., Thomas, H.R., 2010, Behaviour of Compacted MX80 Bentonite under Thermo-hydraulic Gradients, In proceedings of Sixth International Congress on Environmental Geotechnics, Delhi, India, Datta, M., Srivastava, R.K., Ramana, G.V., Shahu, J.T., pp 1401-1404.
- Tripathy, S., Bag Ramakrishna, Thomas, H.R., 2010, Desorption and Consolidation Behaviour of Initially Saturated Clays, In proceedings of Fifth International Conference on Unsaturated Soils, Barcelona, Spain, Alonoso, E., Gens, A., pp 381-386.
- Title: Experimental evaluation of TMH Processes in smectite clay and their impact on key barrier functions.
- PI: Dr. Ramakrishna Bag
- Co-PI: Dr. Vishal Deshpande
- Funding Agency: Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences (BRNS)
- Project Cost: Rs 35.48 Lakhs
- Duration: 2020-2023
- Title: Dynamic Behaviour of Sand in Quaternary Alluvial Deposit Containing Soil Lumps.
- PI: Dr. Pradipta Chakrabortty
- Co-PI: Dr. Ramakrishna Bag
- Funding Agency: BRNS, Govt. of India
- Project Cost: Rs. 31.4 Lacs
- Duration: 2022-2025
- December 17th – 21st 2018: GIAN course on “Coupled Unsaturated and THM Behavior of Soils and Rocks. Applications to Geo-Energy and Geo-environmental Problems” at NIT Rourkela.
- October 3rd - 4th 2016: TEQIP- II sponsored short term course on “Industrial safety and Hazards Management” at NIT Rourkela.
- 7th September 2021: “Geosynthetics for landfill liners” during 5 day faculty development program organized by Samrat Ashok Technological Institute, Vidisha, MP.
- 14th July 2021: “Emerging areas of Geotechnical Engineering” during 5 day faculty development program organized by SKDAV Govt. polytechnic, Rourkela.
- 10th March 2020: “Confinement of radioactive waste - deep geological repository” at NIT Warangal (during online short term course : Sustainable Engineered Waste Barrier Systems (SEWBS), 8th -12th March 2020).
- May 18th, 2020: “Radioactive waste Disposal – Scope and Opportunities of Civil Engineers”, Webnair organised by Abacus Institute of Engineering and Management, Magra, Hoogly, West Bengal.
- August 3rd, 2019: “Ground Source Energy- an alternative Energy resource”, Inauguration of IGS Patna Chapter & International Workshop on Advances in Geoenvironmental Engineering and Sustainability, Patna.
- July 12th -13th 2018: “Radioactive waste management - India scenario” during Programme for Networking Workshop On Contaminated Sites: Subsurface Investigations and Remediation, organised by IIT Delhi, sponsored by Govt. of India.
- 5th-6th October 2017, BARC Mumbai: “effect of compaction stress and elevated temperature on swelling pressure development in smectite clay”, BARC-NRG-BRNS theme meeting in site characterization, design and safety assessment of radioactive waste disposal facilities.
July 1-10, 2020, Conducted international webinar on “Recent Advances in Geotechnical Engineering Research and Practice (RAGeo-RP)” at IIT Patna, organizing team: Arvind Kumar Jha, Amarnath Hegde, Ramakrishna Bag, Pradipta Chakrabortty.
B.Tech and M.Tech project guidance
At IIT Patna
M.Tech in Civil Engineering
- 2022: Pranaw Ambastha: Post Graduate Engineer Trainee, L&T Construction – Heavy Civil Infra IC
M.Tech in Civil and Infrastructure Engineering
- 2020: Priti Kumari, Assistant Engineer, Govt. of Bihar.
B.Tech in Civil Engineering
- 2022: Kaushik Komaduri (Best BTP award winner): Software Development Engineer, Amazon
- 2022: Abhishek Kumar
- 2021: Shivam Prakash: Project Engineer, National Council for Cement and Building Materials (NCCBM)
- 2021: Neeraj Paraliya
- 2020: Abhishek Bharti
- 2020: Abhishek Singh
- 2019: Injamala Sharon Kumar, MS - University of British Columbia, Canada, Sept 2020 session.
- 2019: Harshavardhan Reddy.
At NIT Rourkela
MTech in Geotechnical Engineering
- 2017: Krishnan Kumar, PhD - IIT Kharagpur
- 2017: PV Pavan Kumar (co-guide), PhD – IIT Bhubaneswar
- 2017: Rongala Srikanth N, Asst. Engineer, AP Govt
- 2016: Ahsan Rabbani, Faculty- Darbhanga College of Engineering, Bihar.
- 2016: Ramana Katipelly Reddy, Asst. Engineer, Telangana Govt.
- 2016: Vikas Kumar
- 2015: Siddharthan S, ad hoc Faculty-NIT Puducherry.
- 2015: Haribabu K, Asst. Manager, L&T
- 2015: Rajesh Sarkar
MTech in Safety Engineering
- 2017: Chitra
- 2016: Sanil Kuriakose, Health Safety/ Risk coordinator, ALEC Construction, UAE
- 2016: Shahnwaz Ahmed, EHS Manager, GE
- 2016: Apoorv Singh Chauhan, Risk Manager, Chola MS Risk Services
- 2016: Kumar Asish, Engineer, GE power
- 2016: Abhinash Mohanty
- 2016: Abhipsa Das, PhD SOA University, Bhubaneswar
BTech in Civil Engineering
- 2017: Kiran Kumar Reddy, Civil Engineer, L&T
- 2017: Naresh Banothu
- 2016: Akhilesh Kumar Singh
- 2015: Ambuj Shukla, Entrepreneur
- 2015: Rudrendra Kashyap