The department of Physics at IIT Patna was established and started its activity in August 2008 to train undergraduate engineering students. In July 2009, the department initiated Ph. D. program in various frontier fields of Physics. M. Tech program in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology has been started since July 2012. The department is also offering 2 year M. Sc. program in Physics from July 2016.
The department is committed to engage in high quality research and pursuit of excellence in teaching. The faculty members of the department are actively involved in research and development in challenging areas of both theory and experiment. Currently, the main research emphasis of the department comprises of Condensed Matter Physics, Optics, Biophysics, and Atomic & Molecular Physics.
- “Applicants having valid CSIR-NET(JRF)/UGC-NET(JRF)/DST-INSPIRE/DBT/any other fellowship from recognized government funding agencies may apply for Ph.D. at anytime.”
- 18 AMPS - Annual Magazine of Physics Society 2017-18
- Prime Minister's Research Fellowship (PMRF) scheme
- 17 AMPS - Annual Magazine of Physics Society 2016-17
- Department of Physics, IIT Patna is running 2 year M. Sc. Program: (Admission through JAM).
Latest News / Updates
Chief Guest of the event: Prof. Sourav Pal, Director, IISER Kolkata.
Guest of honor: Prof. Pushpak Bhattacharyya, Director, IIT Patna
- International Conference on Quantum & Atom Optics-2018 (ICQAO-18), Dec 16-18, 2018, IIT Patna
- Interaction of Prof. H. C. Verma with students and faculty on his experiences in educational system on 8th August 2018 at 5.30 PM. Venue: R-408, Block 9.
- Workshop on Revitalizing School Physics Education through concept oriented teaching for Physics PGT KV (RESPECT KVs), 17-19, July 2018.
- Physics Society Special Lecture on on 16th April, 2018 by Prof. Vijay A Singh, Raja Ramana Fellow, on the topic, "The Golden Ration, Center of Mass and Aesthetics". Venue: NKN room (Tutorial Block), Time: 2:30 pm.
- One-day workshop on National Science Day Celebration and 125th Birth Anniversary of Prof. Satyendra Nath Bose" Department of Physics, IIT Patna, Date: March 6, 2018; Venue: Senate Hall, IIT PatnaPatna, Date: March 6, 2018; Venue: Senate Hall, IIT Patna.
- "Science Academies Refresher Course on Experimental Physics", Department of Physics, IIT Patna, 7-22 November, 2017. Deadline is extended till 20th October, 2017.
- .'Workshop on Advances in Physics: From Concepts to Applications' organized by Department of Physics, IIT Patna on 20th and 21st July 2017.
- Unveiling of annual magazine of Physics Society -'17 AMPS - will be held on 7th April 2017, followed by guest lecture of Prof. P. C. Deshmukh, IIT Tirupati. Title of the talk: Complex behavior of simple systems - Rudiments of chaos theory. Venue: Senate Hall, Time: 5.00 PM.
- Physics Society seminar on 8th April 2017 by Prof. P. C. Deshmukh, IIT Tirupati, on the topic "GRAVITY – a bird’s eye-view -A walk through two millennia to understand why objects fall". Venue: Senate Hall, Time: 9.00 AM.
- Workshop for the Kendriya Vidyalay Physics teachers "RESPECT" will be held from 7-9th April-2017.
- Celebration of National Science Day organized by Department of Physics, IIT Patna on 28-02-2017. Venue: Senate Hall, Time: 10:00 AM-05:00 PM.
- Guest lecture of IIT Patna Student Chapter of Optical Society of America (OSA) by Prof. S. Anantha Ramakrishna, Department of Physics, IIT Kanpur on 08-02-2017. Venue: Senate Hall, Time: 03:00 PM - 04:00 PM.
- Workshop on 'Concepts of physics through experiments-2016' organized by Department of Physics, IIT Patna on 15th and 16th July 2016.
- Physics Society seminar on 2nd March 2016 by Dr. Puneet Mishra, Tohoku University, Japan, on “Supramolecular rotary motors driven by tunneling current”.
- Physics Society seminar by Dr. Sita Sundar, University of Kiel, Germany, on “Nonlinear 1D solitons in Laser-Plasmas”
- Inauguration of the physics society of IIT Patna was held on 30th January,2016, by Guest of Honor: Prof. Pushpak Bhattacharyya (Director, IITPatna), Prof. Ratnamala Chatterjee (IIT Delhi), and Dr. Utpal Roy (HoD-Physics).