Womens Grievance Redressal Committee (WGRC)
Gender Sensitization & Awareness Program on the implementation of “Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act 2013".
Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act 2013
Women's Grievance Redressal Committee (WGRC)
Internal Complaints Committee (ICC)
WGRC: A committee constituted by IIT Patna promotes a healthy working environment to all IIT Patna female staff, students and faculty.
In accordance to Section 29 of the Sexual Harassment of women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013 (14 of 2013) and OM dated 21.07.2009 in F.No.11013/3/2009-Esst.(A) issued by the Deptt. of Personnel & Training, Govt. of India, IIT has constituted an Internal Complaints Committee (ICC) to conduct enquiry regarding harassment cases.
|Dr. Smriti Singh, Associate Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences||-||Chairperson|
|Padma Shri Ms. Sudha Varghese, (Nari Gunjan, NGO)||-||Member|
|Dr. Samrat Mondal, Asst. Prof., CSE||-||Member|
|Dr. Meghna Dutta, Asst. Prof., HSS||-||Member|
|Dr. Rashmi Raj||-||Member|
|Ms. Tanuja Kumari, AR (Admin)||-||Member|
The following will also be included as members of the committee in case the victim or alleged perpetrator is a student:
|General Secretary/Girls Hostel||-||Member|
Who can approach WGRC for help? Any IIT Patna female employee (faculty or staff) or student Definition of Sexual Harassment: "Sexual harassment" includes such unwelcome sexually determined behaviour, whether directly or otherwise, as:
- physical contact and advances
- demand or request for sexual favours
- sexually coloured remarks
- showing any pornography, or
- any other unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of a sexual nature
What are the possible actions that can be taken against the respondent?
- Written apology
- Bond of good behaviour
- Adverse remark in the Confidential Report
- Stopping of increments/promotion
- Any other relevant mechanism
If you are harassed, what should you do?
Inform to immediate supervisor or any other person in authority if the complaint is against the supervisor or WGRC-ICC
- You can meet in person or call or file a complaint (hand-written, typed and signed, email) to the WGRC
- You can also contact the chairperson or any other members directly.
Rest assured that your complaint will be kept CONFIDENTIAL.
Inquiry into complaint:
- The inquiry shall be complete within a period of ninety days from the date of the complaint.
- On completion of the inquiry, the Internal Committee shall provide a report of its findings to the employer within a period of ten days from the date of completion of the inquiry and such report be made available to the concerned parties.
- If the allegation against the respondent has been proved, it shall recommend punitive actions to be taken against the respondent to the employer.
- The employer shall act upon the recommendation within sixty days of its receipt by him.
Useful Reading Materials:
- Handbook on Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace, 2015.
- Sexual harassment of Women Act and Rules 2013, New Delhi, the 9th December, 2013
- Office Memorandum, New Delhi, the 21st July, 2009, No. 11013/3/2009-Estt. (A) issued by the Department of Personnel and Training, Govt. of India