Indian Institute of Technology Patna is an Institution of National Importance and a new addition to the hallowed IIT System that has proven its worth in last 50+ years. The alumni of IIT are internationally known for their caliber and contribution. Since its inception in 2008, IIT Patna- like its young as well as established peers- has pursued excellence with steadfast determination.
IITP has 6 Engineering Disciplines: Civil and Environmental Engineering, Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Material Science and Engineering; 2 Science Disciplines: Physics and Chemistry; Humanities and Social Sciences; Mathematics and 3 Centers of Excellence: Energy and Environment; Strategic Materials; Advanced Systems Engineering. Its faculty members are experts in their respective fields. The thriving PhD, M.Tech and B.Tech programs of IITP see the students and faculty publish prolifically, win competitions, come up with innovations and build societal awareness.
For impact, technology has to understand its vital links with (i) Humanities and Social Sciences, (ii) Mathematics and (iii) Natural Sciences. Technology can change life if it can acquire “Perspective” from Humanities and Social Sciences, “Technique” from Mathematics and “Foundations” from Sciences. In IITP, we will strive to achieve this 4-way harmony of Technology, Humanities and Social Sciences, Basic Sciences and Mathematics. The original charter of new IITs, viz., interdisciplinary research and teaching will thereby be addressed.
IITP is strategically placed, geographically speaking. The stretch from Gujarat to Manipur has 11 IITs (Gandhinagr, Jodhpur, Mandi, Ropar, Roorkee, Delhi, Kanpur, Patna, Kharagpur, Bhubaneshwar and Guahati) and a large number of NITs and renowned universities. This sets up a tremendous powerhouse of knowledge and high quality human resource. Additionally, the state of Bihar is rich with tradition and resources, emphasizes education, is blessed with the fertile Gangetic plain and abundant sunlight. This paves way for immense societal impact through agriculture and energy technology, amongst many other possibilities.
IITP is set to move to its brand new campus at Bihta, a place with history, about 25 KM from main city Patna. The sprawling 500 acre campus houses 4 academic complexes for the departments, a Class Rooms Complex, Faculty, Staff and Student Residential quarters, Hospital and School and an impressive Administrative building. The 2015 autumn session in IITP will start from the new campus.
At this juncture of history, IIT Patna is poised for great things.
Dr. Pushpak Bhattacharyya: Director IIT, Patna
Director, IIT Patna,
Professor of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Patna
Vijay and Sita Vashee Chair Professor
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering,
- PhD: 1994: Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, INDIA.
- Visiting Research Fellow- 1990-91: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, USA.
- M.Tech: 1986: Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, INDIA.
- B.Tech: 1984: Department of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, INDIA.
- Visiting Professor: 2004 summer: Stanford University
Significant Recent Publications (full list under http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~pb):
- Book: Pushpak Bhattacharyya, Machine Translation, book published by CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, USA, 2015.
- Pushpak Bhattacharyya, Multilingual Projections, Book Chapter in Language Production, Cognition and the Lexicon (ed. Nuria Gala et al), Springer, Switzerland, 2015.
- Aditya Joshi, Vinita Sharma, Pushpak Bhattacharyya, Harnessing context incongruity for sarcasm detection, ACL 2015, Beijing, China, July 26-31, 2015.
- Devendra Chaplot and Pushpak Bhattacharyya, Unsupervised Word Sense Disambiguation Using Markov Random Field and Dependency Parser, AAAI 2015, Austin Texas, USA, 25-29 January, 2015
- Raj Dabre, Fabien Cromieres, Sadao Kurohashi and Pushpak Bhattacharyya, Leveraging Small Multilingual Corpora for SMT Using Many Pivot Languages, NAACL 2015, Denver, Colorado, USA, May 31-June 5, 2015.
- Anoop Kunchukuttan, Abhijit Mishra, Rajen Chatterjee, Ritesh Shah and Pushpak Bhattacharyya, Shata-Anuvadak: Tackling Multiway Translation of Indian Languages, LREC 2014, Rekjyavik, Iceland, 26-31 May, 2014
- Abhijit Mishra and Pushpak Bhattacharyya, Automatically Predicting Sentence Translation Difficulty, ACL 2013, Sofia, Bulgaria, 4-9 August, 2013
- Mitesh Khapra, Salil Joshi, Arindam Chatterjee and Pushpak Bhattacharyya, Together We Can: Bilingual Bootstrapping for WSD, Annual Meeting of the Association of Computational Linguistics (ACL 2011), Oregon, USA, June 2011.
- Manoj Chinnakotla, Karthik Raman and Pushpak Bhattacharyya, Multilingual Relevance Feedback: One Language Can Help Another, Conference of Association of Computational Linguistics (ACL 2010), Uppsala, Sweden, July 2010.
- A.Kumaran, Mitesh Khapra and Pushpak Bhattacharyya, Compositional Machine Transliteration, ACM Transactions on Asian Language Information Processing (TALIP Journal), Vol. 9, Issue 4, December 2010.
- Manoj Chinnakotla, Karthik Raman and Pushpak Bhattacharyya, Multilingual PRF: English Lends a Helping Hand, SIGIR 2010, Geneva, Switzerland, July, 2010.
- Pushpak Bhattacharyya, IndoWordNet, Lexical Resources Engineering Conference 2010 (LREC 2010), Malta, May, 2010.
Professional Service and Recognition:
- ACL Presidentship: Currently Vice President elect, will become VP in 2016 and then ACL President in 2017.
- Associate Editor- ACM Transaction on Asian Language Information Processing (TALIP) in 2010 till date.
- Editorship, Program Chair, Program Committee member roles for top journals and conferences of the world (TALIP, ACL. COLING, EMNLP, NAACL, LREC, SIGIR, CIKM etc.)
- Organizing Chair- Computation Linguistics Conference (COLING) in 2012 at IIT Bombay (first time to take place in India).
- Professional Member ACM.
- Invited Speaker in Dagstuhl Seminar.
- VNMM award of IIT Roorkee , Patwardhan Award of IIT Bombay and Manthan Award of Ministry of IT and Digital India Foundation: all for significant contribution to Technology.
- IBM, Yahoo and Microsoft Faculty awards.
- Grant from United Nations.
- PhD: graduated: 14; Ongoing: 17 (single and with other collaborators)
- Masters: graduated more than 150; ongoing 8
- Bachelors: graduated more than 60; ongoing: 6
Sponsored and Consultancy projects:
- Indowordnet: pioneering effort- a linked structure of 18 Indian language wordnets, facilitating machine translation, cross lingual search and word sense disambiguation amongst Indian languages and English.http://www.cfilt.iitb.ac.in/indowordnet/
- Sandhan: Leading India’s first time endeavor at creating mono and cross lingual search engines in Indian Languages. http://www.tdil-dc.in/sandhan/index.jsp
- Anuvadaksh, Sampark: India’s National Projects in consortium mode on English to Indian Languages and Indian Languages to Indian Languages respectively. http://www.tdil-dc.in/tdildcMain/IPR/Anuvaadaaksh.pdf ; http://sampark.iiit.ac.in/sampark/web/index.php/content
- Faculty research grants: from Yahoo, Microsoft, HP Labs, Samsung, United Nations in various areas of NLP and Machine Learning.